Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Sun(ny) day...................


8: 00 A.M. ………….. Not too late to rise on a Sunday morning . I have always loved Sunday mornings. I remember the good old days where I would get up exactly when the TV show “Rangoli” starts. Watching even those national award winning-regional language movies in the afternoon also was a treat those days. At that time the only channels were DD-1 and DD- II. So there was no confusions or fights over which channel to watch. Today when I came to the TV I didn’t really know what I wanted, but kept browsing channels up , down , paused at few and then continued hopping channels again. I decided it was enough and clicked “power off “ and opened my patio door slowly making sure that I don’t wake my daughter with the squeaky sound of the door.
When I stepped outside with my teacup in one hand and a Parle – G biscuit (somehow I haven’t found a better tasting biscuit till now) in the other, I realized it was a warm morning. The conditioned 65 ° F inside my living room was so cool compared to the 85 ° F outside. But the early morning rays were not burning my skin. I felt it as warm as a hug from a friend. My patio faces the east and I could see the biggest star shining just above my apartment complex. Suddenly I felt I saw “him” smile. (I have always beleived “sun” is a handsome man, and “moon “ is a lovely lady).
As I kept staring he started talking “ Hey, hi there good morning! Iam back. Last night when u were sleeping, I was in India. Few people greeted me with “Surya namaskarams”. I saw ur family and friends back home. They looked happy to me. As the day passed i saw people getting drenched in sweat. Was I shining too hot on them ?. Some even looked at me with so much anger that I felt like disappearing. May be that’s what they wanted. But I kept shining. Street vendors were selling jackfruits, mangoes, water melons and all fruits of summer. Roads were filled with different vehicles, two wheelers, three wheelers, four wheelers in all sizes and shapes. At some places I saw people cooling off ,even if it was just a small puddle of water. I saw ladies standing in one of the streets waiting for a corporation water lorry. I could see their joy when the big vehicle came roaring towards them and put a stop to their long hours of waiting. As I was making a move from east to west , I could see some men riding bi-cycles and selling “ mallige moggu “ ( jasmine ), “thaati nongu “ ( palm fruit ). I could see children still playing on the roads. Saw ladies having group conversations with neighbours. Men cooling off in the patios with news papers. Ofcourse they were not reading , but were using it as fans now. As it started getting darker, your dad was telling your mom to close the doors. He was worried that the much-dreaded insects “ mosquitoes” would get inside the house. By the way all the fans in your house ceiling were running full speed the whole day. Anyways iam back here and “moon” is there taking care of them. Iam looking forward to the day here. Oh yes, already I see more than zillion automobiles screeching at 80 miles/hr on freeways and …………” he kept talking. But I realized it was getting too warm outside and was missing the coolness of the living room. So without even telling him bye I just walked in. I kept thinking…….How much does an A.C cost? May be we should ask dad to buy one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Unknown said...

whatever i say will be an understatement.. (chech..u know what i mean).. hehe....

Preetha Nair said...

good going ! Welcome to the blogger world although there is nothing to beat a good old diary !

really nice.....straight from the heart..

Keep writing Girl...My best wishes to a new start :)

Unknown said...

like it a lot...u r awesome